How can we help?

What happens if I'm deemed a Canadian resident while living abroad?

There are a number of situations in which you may be considered a 'factual resident' even if you don't live in the country. According to the CRA You may be considered a factual resident of Canada if you are:
  • working temporarily outside Canada;
  • teaching or attending school in another country;
  • commuting (going back and forth daily or weekly) from Canada to your place of work in the United States (U.S.);
  • vacationing outside Canada; or
  • if you spent part of the year in the U.S., for example, for health reasons or on vacation.

Was this article helpful?

Can’t find the answers you’re looking for?

Our customer care team is here for you.

Contact Support